Plugin Buddypress: TDLC Birthdays 140

Update : want to reuse the plugin’s functions to display the age of members in your BP theme pages ? I wrote a snippet for that 🙂

English below

J’administre un site communautaire basé sur WordPress MU et Buddypress. Jusqu’à aujourd’hui j’ai toujours pu me procurer des plugins pour mettre en place les fonctionnalités dont j’avais besoin. Mais cette fois je cherchais à afficher les anniversaires des membres du site sur la page d’accueil, et à mon grand étonnement je n’ai rien trouvé.

J’ai donc décidé de développer mon premier Widget pour cette plate-forme : TDLC Birthdays

Le plugin est en français et en anglais (et en 7 autres langues :)), c’est pourquoi la suite du post, qui est est basée sur le readme du plugin, est en anglais…

Description

WARNING: Since version 0.2, the plugin is designed for Buddypress 1.2. If you run an earlier version of Buddypress, please use version 0.1.7. Also, please note that Buddypress 1.5+ requires v0.3.2+ of the plugin.

This is a Plugin that creates a ‘Birthdays’ Widget that you can use in your Buddypress pages. Once you’ve created a datebox field in the Buddypress profiles and referenced it in the TLDC Birthdays widget settings, the widget will display the list of either all BP users or just the connected user’s friends whose birthday is today and also, if you like, the list of upcoming birthdays within the next n days. Plugin now supports Andy Peatling’s Buddypress Followers plugin when installed, so that you can also track the birthdays of people you follow.

So to sum up, in order to get things to work, you’ll need :

• A birthday field in the Buddypress extended profile settings
  • Users to fill it out in their profiles
  • The TDLC Birthdays widget properly installed and set up (see Installation)

Remarks :

• Localized! Currently English, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian and Spanish languages are included. Many thanks to the translators!
  • Sounds obvious but in « display friends only » mode, as you only see your friend’s birthdays, you wont see your own birthday in the widget. This does not mean that your friends don’t see it either! Same thing goes with the Followers option.

Installation

This section describes how to install the plugin and get it working.

1. Download the archive on the WordPress Plugin Directory and expand it.
  2. Upload the tdlc-birthdays folder into your wp-content/plugins/ directory
  3. In your WordPress Administration Area, go to the Plugins page and click Activate for TDLC Birthdays
  4. In the Widgets page, you can now add the Birthday plugin wherver you like. Please note that the widget requires compulsory settings.

Settings

• In order to get the widget working, you need to fill out the Birthday field Name (or ID). The Birthday field must have been previously created in the Buddypress profile page (and it should be a datebox type field). Of course, the users must also fill it out on their profile pages…
  • The other settings are self-explanatory (or at least I hope so).

140 thoughts on “Plugin Buddypress: TDLC Birthdays

1. Reply james Mar 15,2012 10:24

Excellent Plugin !!!

I have the widget loaded twice on the sidebar.
    The first one is for Birthdays.
    The second one is for Anniversaries.

Is there a way I can change the wording in the second instance that I’m using for anniversaries from:
    « No birthdays in the next 7 days… » to « No anniversaries in the next 7 days… »
    and
    « Add your birthdate to your profile » to « Add your anniversary to your profile »

Thanks
    James

2. Reply Tom Mar 20,2012 08:39

Hello Max,

I’ve investigated this a little bit and it’s not as easy as it seemed at first, because when using Gravatar I couldn’t find a way to find out whether the returned image is the default one or the real user’s avatar. I have made some tests on a development version of the plugin and I can properly detect if the user has locally uploaded a picture and only display the image in that case, but the users using their Gravatar images should not be hidden either ! For this reason I’m holding the release for a while. If anyone has a hint on how we could proceed, I’d be glad to take it !

Cheers,
    Tom

3. Reply Tom Mar 20,2012 08:39

Hello James, thanks for your comment. Unfortunately the plugin currently does not allow to set a replacement term for « birthday ». This would require a couple of new setting fields and would most likely break all the current translations of the plugin. I think the easiest for you would be to duplicate my plugin and edit the strings directly in the source files.

Cheers
    Tom

4. Reply top Mai 14,2012 08:42

5. Reply sathya Juil 10,2012 09:36

I have installed & activated tdlc birthday plugin. But still iam unable to see that widget in widget column. Can any one help me in finding that?? and need one more help too.. its i need to keep this plugin in a page so that my friends can enter their birthdays when ever they visit my blog. do we have procedure for that? if yes pls do mention it.

Thanks in advance..

6. Reply jonk Juil 23,2012 23:24

i have the same problem with « sathya ». what should i do..??

7. Reply Tom Juil 28,2012 03:27

Hi sathya & jonk,

could you tell me which version of PHP, WordPress and Buddypress you are running?

Thanks!

8. Reply Cesar Sep 3,2012 16:19

Hi Tom. Great plugin. I was wondering if it is possible that you add some functionality to send an e-mail to all users on their birthdays. Thanks,

César

9. Reply Uday Oct 25,2012 15:07

Hi. I am using this plugin in a Worpress multisite setting and have huge performance issues with the plugin. It adds about 0.5 – 1 second overload on each pageload. Do you think it has something to do with the multisite setup ? Any other suggestions ?
    I am running BP 3.4.1 and TDLC v0.4.

10. Reply Nathan P. Jan 8,2013 23:52

Hi there Tom!

This is an excellent plugin that I’ve been looking for a lot of my websites. However before I can use it, could you please update it so that it works with WordPress 3.5 and BuddyPress 1.6.5? My PHP version if you need that is 5.1.3.

Thanks again,